Child custody is a sensitive issue. There are strong emotions involved that can cause severe mental scarring in the child. Parents looking for the best lawyer to help them should keep the following things in mind to be able to recognize qualified and experienced lawyers to provide support at such a sensitive time.
Begin by asking around for references
The best way to begin looking for a lawyer is to ask people you know for recommendations. Start by asking your family and your friends. If you don’t score there, go to the court office and ask the clerk. The state bar association as well as other parents going through similar situations may also be able to help. Of course, if you can’t afford to pay an attorney, the court will appoint a ‘pro bono’ attorney for you.
Schedule an interview
You have to interview your candidate before you hire. Here are some of the things you should consider:
- Schedule a phone interview first. Find out if a free consultation is available. You need a meeting during which you will have to decide whether or not you can work with the lawyer.
- The candidate has to be approachable. It will be a good thing if he or she has a similar personality and outlook as you, and is able to understand your position.
- He or she must have experience with cases such as yours, with a respectable success rate. The candidate should be able to give you an estimate of how long it can take for your case to be resolved.
- Ask if the fee structure is by the hour or if it follows some other format.
Check the lawyer’s reputation
- Look up the attorney directory in your state. You can find out if the candidate has a good reputation with the state bar. If he or she has a suspended license, you will know and also the reason for the suspension.
- Ask around. If you live in a small community, the chances are that someone in it may know something of the reputation of the lawyer.
If you make a mistake
Don’t worry. If you think that the lawyer you hired can no longer help you, you can let him or her go and start looking for another.
For you, the best child custody lawyer in Las Vegas would be someone who can not only give you legal advice but sensitive mental support. A divorce and custody case can be difficult to deal with, especially if there is child abuse involved as well.
Are you looking for recommendations for the best child custody lawyer in Las Vegas, Residents will direct you to The Hill Law Group for the legal advice you need. You can call them at 702-221-1959.
VN:F [1.9.22_1171]Finding The Best Child Custody Lawyer in Las Vegas For You,